The 2 year Confirmation instruction is completed in Grade 9. There will be a mandatory parent/student meeting to explain the requirements.
ALL STUDENTS MUST BE REGISTERED with fees paid before they will be allowed to attend class and receive study materials.
GRADE 9 REQUIREMENTS TO BE COMPLETED
- Attendance and participation in all classes. Attendance will be taken. A call to the family will be made by the Pastor or Deacon after the first unexcused absence. A letter to the family will be sent after the second unexcused absence. A third unexcused absence will result in dismissal from the program for the year.
- Letter to Fr. Dolan Requesting Confirmation. A sample of its form and content is below on this page.
- Essay On Patron Saint Used For Your Confirmation Name. A sample of its form and content is below on this page. Click here for a list of Saint Names.
- Baptismal Certificate. If the student was baptized at St. Margaret Mary or made First Communion here he/she will not need a copy of this as the Rectory will already have it. If the student was not baptized at St. Margaret Mary and did not make First Communion at St. Margaret Mary he/she will need to obtain a copy of their baptismal certificate from their home parish rectory office and submit it to the St. Margaret Mary Religious Education Office secretary, if one has not been previously submitted.
- Sponsor Certificate. The Sponsor must be a Confirmed PRACTICING Catholic 16 years of age or older. If your sponsor is from this parish, he/she will need to contact the rectory to obtain their Sponsor Certificate. If the sponsor is from another parish, he/she must contact their home parish rectory office to obtain their Sponsor Certificate. NOTE: You may only have one sponsor for Confirmation. According to the Code of Canon Law, a confirmation sponsor cannot be the candidate’s mother or father.
- Completion and documentation of 10 hours of approved service time. Community Service Report Form
- Completion of one Reflection Opportunity. Reflection Opportunity for Service Project
- Attendance of a mandatory half day Grade 9 retreat in the spring of their confirmation year.
- Final class interview in the spring of their confirmation year. The interviews are scheduled through your confirmation teacher. Your teacher will notify you of the date and time of your class interview.
- Small group interview with Father Carlos at the rectory. The 15 minute interview with up to 5 students is scheduled through the Office. Please call 860-644-2549. Parents are welcome to come.
- Rehearsal & Sacrament of Reconciliation. These will occur on the same evening a week before the Sacrament of Confirmation. Attendance is mandatory. The rehearsal will be the only opportunity for the student & sponsor to know where they’ll be placed for Confirmation. If the sponsor can’t attend the rehearsal, please have someone there to stand in for them.
Students will receive study materials at the first class. They are responsible for bringing their study materials to each class if they are not kept at the class meeting location.
Your confirmation teacher will help you complete your requirements. Your teacher will gather and turn in your packet of completed requirements to the Religious Education Office at the end of the program year.
ALL REQUIREMENTS AND PAPERWORK MUST BE COMPLETED AND TURNED IN TO THE CONFIRMATION TEACHER.
YOUR CONFIRMATION TEACHER MUST TURN IN A PACKET OF COMPLETED REQUIREMENTS AND PAPERWORK FOR ALL STUDENTS IN THEIR CLASS, ALONG WITH THEIR ATTENDANCE RECORD, FOR REVIEW BY THE RELIGIOUS EDUCATION OFFICE BEFORE A FINAL INTERVIEW CAN BE SCHEDULED.
PLEASE PLAN FOR THE EARLIEST COMPLETION OF ALL REQUIREMENTS AND PAPERWORK IN ORDER TO SUPPORT YOUR CONFIRMATION TEACHER’S ABILITY TO TURN IN YOUR CLASS’ PACKET BY THE DEADLINE. SO HAVE YOUR CLASS SCHEDULED FOR ITS FINAL INTERVIEW.
The Letter Requesting Confirmation is as follows. It must be typed and then signed.
Rev. Michael Dolan
St. Margaret Mary Church
80 Hayes Road
South Windsor, CT 06074
Dear Fr. Dolan:
I, Your Full Name Here, do hereby formally request to be fully initiated into the Roman Catholic Church through the Sacrament of Confirmation. I have been studying the faith in classes, will attend a retreat day of reflection, dedicated at least 10 hours in service in each of the two years of the Confirmation Program (explained in the attached letter) and have completed all the necessary other Sacraments of Initiation.
I would like to take the name Your Saint’s Name Here as my confirmation name for reasons explained in the attached essay.
For my sponsor I have chosen Your Sponsor’s Name Here, (a registered parishioner at St. Margaret Mary) (if applicable), who I feel is the best possible person to help and witness to me in my faith. They are a practicing Catholic as the attached sponsor certificate indicates. (if applicable) (sponsor certificate is necessary only if other than a St. Margaret Mary parishioner) Thank you for considering my candidacy in this most important step in my life.
Sign Your Name Here
Type Your Name Here
Sample Essay On Patron Saint Used For Your Confirmation Name follows:
Type Your Full Name Here
Type Your Patron Saint’s Full Name Here
I, Your Full Name Here, have chosen Your Saint’s Full Name Here to be my patron saint. Continue in your own words, using this paragraph to tell the reasons why you chose him/her.
Use this second paragraph to tell when and where he/she lived. How and in what ways did your patron saint serve God? What good qualities did he/she possess that you admire?
Use this third paragraph to describe what you can learn from the life lived by your patron saint. Describe how this will help you in the future to serve God and to serve others.